Samsung has said it will suspend sales of its latest smartphone Galaxy Note 7 as reports of exploding batteries threatens its reputation.
The tech giant is planning a global recall of the phone, according to Yonhap news agency.
"We have received several reports of battery explosion on the Note 7 that was officially launched on August 19...and it has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem," Koh Dong-Jin told reporters.
Yonhap news agency had cited an unnamed source and said Samsung is likely to replace the batteries on Galaxy Note 7 smartphones through a recall.
Samsung has so far sold one million units of the Note 7 in countries including South Korea and the US.
Twenty four of them have been confirmed to have faulty batteries, Koh said, adding he was "deeply sorry" over the incident.
Several users have posted photos and videos on social media showing the charred Note 7 with part of its 5.7-inch touchscreen burnt and melted, saying it suddenly caught fire.
The blow to Samsung comes ahead of Apple's September 7 launch event, where the US-based company is expected to unveil the next generation of iPhones.
(WION with inputs from agencies)