Mitsubishi sacks Carlos Ghosn over alleged financial misconduct

Carlos Ghosn, former chairman of Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance Photograph:( Reuters )

WION Web Team Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan Nov 26, 2018, 04.05 PM (IST)

Japanese car firm Mitsubishi Motors today sacked Carlos Ghosn, 64, as chairman over alleged financial misconduct at the Japanese-based car company.

"During today's board meeting, it was decided that he is dismissed as chairman," the company said in a statement.

The high-profile ex-chairman was arrested last week after reports of financial mismanagement emerged. The eight-member Mitsubishi board met at the Yokohama headquarters in Tokyo to dismiss Ghosn. The meeting was attended by several hundred staff members which was presided by CEO Hiroto Saikawa.

Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa had said earlier that concentration of power in Ghosn meant there was a lack of direct communication between the other alliance board members, Reuters reported.

Ghosn allegedly underreported his salary to the tune of  $44 million between June 2011 and June 2015. The company said Ghosn was ousted "based on the copious amount and compelling nature of the evidence of misconduct presented."

Japanese media reports said authorities are planning to re-arrest him on charges of understating his income totaling $71 million. According to local media reports, Nissan has formed a secret cell within the company to look into the alleged financial misconduct of Ghosn.

However, France has decided to stand by Ghosn for now, it has appointed Thierry Bollore as the interim CEO of Renault. The Mitsubishi-Nissan-Renault trinity is one of the biggest car entity in the world selling over 10 million cars worldwide employing thousands of employees.

Ghosn faces 10 years imprisonment according to Japanese law. Ghosn has denied the allegations.